Total Pageviews

Thursday 9 May 2013

N for Nonpareil: The Gorma Modell N Portable Typewriter

The Modell E differs from the N in that it has no ribbon colour selector switch. Another variation is the Modell T - the manual which came with my Modell N shows the Modell T, which has a tabulator switch. 
The Groma Modell N was designed by Leopold Ferdinand Pascher (above), born in Vienna on May 31, 1896. Pascher worked for Torpedo in Frankfurt, Bing in Nuremberg, Orga-Privat, Triumph and Stoewer (where his portable became the Rheinmetall KsT) and was one of Germany's most prolific and brilliant typewriter designers between the world wars. The patently solid yet compact mechanical designs of the Rheinmetall KsT and Groma Model N show similarities and are the hallmarks of Pascher's work on portable typewriters.


6 comments:

Richard P said...

That really is one GREAT looking typewriter.

I did not love typing several pages on the Empire Aristocrat. It just isn't "snappy" enough. The Kolibri is still in the running for London. The Olympia SF is a more precise, more practical machine, but less slim and cool. The Princess (Scheidegger Princess-Matic, to be precise) may be the best-engineered of them all, but it's also the heaviest. Decisions, decisions ...

Ted said...

Beautiful machine, and slick, swoopy return lever. I approve! (:

Unknown said...

Absolutely everything about these Groma portables says good design. They're near the top of my want list!

Scott K said...

Sensational looking machine Rob.
If you ever get a chance, have a look at John's 'N'. It is a burgundy unit that has glass keys, and is in near 'as new' condition. The machine is one of the most stunning typewriters I have ever seen.

Vikram said...

The lines on this typewriter definitely swoop, and it reminds me of a sleeker Remington-Rand 5 with that red-and-black color scheme!

Anonymous said...

Today I also bought a Groma Modell N, and I am very pleased with the look and feel of this machine. As soon as I have cleaned it up, and found the serial number, I will add it to my gallery at TWDB. But in the meantime, I saw that you have a manual of the Modell T. Is is possible to scan and post it? Thanks in advance! Marlize L.