Total Pageviews

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Oliver in The Pink: The Pink Panther Typewriter

This is just about all I have to show for my efforts in the past couple of days.
I have been cleaning up a Maritsa 22, which I will show and tell about tomorrow, hopefully.
Also, to prove that since posting on the Citizen, I have stayed on the same wave-length as Adwoa (who has already posted on the Maritsa 22), a couple of nice Triumphs, and there is a Mercedes and a Klein Adler thrust-action on their way.
As well, I am dusting off a Torpedo and a Bluebird for comparison. So I haven't been completely idle, at least not typewriter-collecting wise.
This is The Pink Panther Typewriter. As I mentioned in a post on the Cole Steel, the pink version of that portable really appeals to me, but is way out of my current price range. This Oliver has vaguely similar lines. So I decided to have a bit of fun and put the little Oliver in the Pink.
This is one of those machines made in Croydon in London which is part of that large family which also includes later models of Voss, Swissa Piccola, Japy and others. As you can see, the British Oliver typewriter company was still using the distinctive, original style of Oliver brand name.
In case you are looking in horror at what I have done to this nice little Oliver Courier, let me say I have quite a few of these machines, all in the same drab grey.
And as someone who grew up in a town called Greymouth (which an art deco-typewriter collecting friend of mine described the other day as "aptly-named"), I've had quite enough grey for one lifetime - although I do forgive it in such things as the Underwood Champion-Universal, the Royal Quiet De Luxe and one or two Imperials.
Anyway, anyone who has read my book (it's on the way Peter, Anna and Tom, I promise!) will know that I love pink typewriters. This is just one more for the collection.

12 comments:

Adwoa said...

Fantastic job! The paint looks glossy and smooth, and that shade of pink is perfect.

I have seen a few Swissas/ Patrias in that same body style, and they have always been in an uninspiring drab gray. This is a fine and fun improvement.

Robert Messenger said...

Thank you, Adwoa. If I recall correctly, you also have something of soft spot for pink typewriters, or am I wrong?

Robert Messenger said...

PS Adwoa: I spruced up a very drab looking Swissa Piccola in a nice copper-gold shade a few months ago, and it looks gorgeous. But can you believe it? I have mislaid the little name badge from the front. So I can't post on it until I find the name badge!

Bill M said...

A pink typewriter! I like the pink with the black keys.

Cameron said...

It looks marvelous! Great paint job.

maschinengeschrieben said...

Very nice!

Richard P said...

Fab-ulous!

Rob Bowker said...

Hmmm, the black pink combo reminds me of my sister's bathroom. She bought the house and it came with a pink bath and black tiles. The bath's still as pink as ever. Restraint in paint finishes (lavender and rose gold Corona 4s aside) is a functional aesthetic. Bright colours are distractions some of us more sombre folk are trying to avoid. Looks pretty tasty though :-) Are those runs on the paper table or just reflections?

shordzi said...

Inspector Clouseau smiles.

Robert Messenger said...

Thank you Adwoa, Bill, Cameron, Richard, Georg, Florian, Rob. Yes, Rob, you have an eagle eye: not runs, but the paper plate does look a bit rough in these images. I think I used a surfeit of silicon spray when easing things back together on the paper plate and didn't rub it off properly before photograpohing it. I should take it off and do it again, especially if I was ever to consider selling it.

Crystal said...

Beautiful paint job! Am very jealous. How do you get that smooth glossy finish?

Robert Messenger said...

Thanks Crystal. I always start with a good primer, to get as smooth a surface as possible. Keep sanding and priming to get it smooth. Just as the primer is beginning to dry (10-15 minutes on a warm day) I apply the first coast of gloss paint, enamel or lacquer. Within two hours I will apply a second coat. This needs to be allowed to dry for a full 24-hours. Then I apply a light coat of clear gloss. Be careful not to apply this too close, too thickly, or before the coloured gloss has had a good chance to settle, otherwise the surface can become a little volatile. Allow this last clear coat to dry over 24 hours before re-assembling the machine. I hope this works for you. Patience is the absolute key to a good finished job.