Total Pageviews

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Centenary of Dulal Chandra Dutt's typing win

It appears I have been remiss. This blog, while serving in part as a history of the typewriter, has been guilty of overlooking certain details. For example, as a reader emailed me yesterday, it did not (previously) include the fact that the Dulal Chandra Dutt, (pictured above), at the time aged just 18, won a gold medal as first prize for typing from the Remington Typewriter Company in 1912.
Underwood's official world champion that year as Florence E.Wilson, who won the title with a rate of 117 words a minute.
"I'm sorry to inform you there is no information about [Dulal Chandra Dutt's] prize in your website ... I send you photos of the said medal for your ready reference ... Amar Dutta".
Subsequently, Amar has informed me that Sri Dulal Chandra Dutt, of Calcutta, India, was born on August 17, 1894. After completing his education and academic career, he learnt typewriting. He loved music and played the violin and piano very well. He passed away on January 3, 1971, aged 76.
I apologise for this previous omission and am pleased to rectify the oversight by including the photographs of the medal:

4 comments:

Rob Bowker said...

OK, now we are all on the edge of our seats waiting for the back story to
the medal :-)

Robert Messenger said...

Sorry, Rob, that's all I know ...

Rob Bowker said...

OK, so one of our creative brethren might perhaps make something up?

Robert Messenger said...

Rob, my correspondent has added a few more details and a photo.